Sports Mouthguards in Mount Pleasant, MI
Do you or your child play contact sports? It is estimated that 5 million teeth will be knocked out due to sports in this year alone. Your smile is an investment, whether you have invested time taking care of your teeth or if you have invested money into making your smile the way you always wanted it to be. Protect your teeth and your child’s teeth from injury with a custom mouthguard. According to the American Dental Association, sports mouthguards can prevent over 200,000 injuries a year.
In many instances, your smile is the first thing people notice about you. If you are involved in any sports such as football, baseball, basketball, you may want to protect your smile. No matter your age, young or old, you may want to consider a custom-fit mouthguard.
Visit Mid Michigan Smiles for custom sports mouthguards, and other general dental services for all ages.
Mouthguards offer multiple benefits to patients of all ages, such as:
- A secure and stable fit
- Protection from tooth loss
- A reduced chance of concussion
- Protection of dental work from damage
The “boil and bite” mouthguards found in stores don’t offer a custom-fit like professional mouthguards. Without a perfect fit, over-the-counter mouthguards can fall out or make it more difficult to speak with them in. Professional mouthguards can prevent patients from resorting to restorative solutions later in life. Although our team does offer tooth bonding for chipped teeth and dental implants for missing teeth, we aim to protect healthy natural teeth.
Dr. Raymond Ribitch will work with you or your child to create a sports mouthguard that fits comfortably. He will take a mold of teeth to craft the final mouthguard. Ensure that the mouthguard is cleaned regularly with an antibacterial solution and thoroughly cleaned once a month. Cleaning the mouthguard prevents bacteria from forming and keeps it fresh for regular use.
Why Does It Need To Be Custom Fit?
- Custom Fit: Everyone has a different smile, meaning that the generic store mouthguard may not fit securely in your mouth causing them to move during play. With a custom-fit mouthguard, you will not have to worry about the mouthguard shifting during the game or irritating your gums.
- Cool Factor: What’s cooler than keeping your teeth intact? A custom-fit mouthguard comes in a variety of colors, so you can design one that matches your unique smile. Even some of the world’s best athletes wear custom mouthguards to bring some much-needed flair to their uniforms.
- Confidence: If you have a wonderful smile, you want to do what you can to keep in protected. A custom-fit mouthguard can help reduce your risk of injury during contact sports and physical activity. So, do not be afraid any longer, come in and get fitted for a custom fit mouthguard; it is inexpensive and takes only a few minutes.
Protect your teeth and prevent future dental work with a custom-fit professional mouthguard. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Ribitch and his team today. Call us at 989.268.7966 or schedule an appointment online today.
Should I always have to bite down on my mouthguard?
No, this is a sign that your mouthguard doesn’t fit the way it should. Biting down constantly on the mouthguard can cause harmful effects, like issues with TMJ or pain throughout the jaw and neck. A custom-fit mouthguard fits comfortably without the need to bite down.
Can my mouthguard make me sick?
If you don’t clean your mouthguard properly, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and can make you sick. This includes life-threatening mold forming, as well as bacteria that cause strep or staph infections.
How do I clean my mouthguard?
There are many ways to clean your mouthguard. First, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to clean it. You can also use a toothbrush with soap and water. Non-alcoholic mouthwash has antimicrobial properties and is also a good way to clean it. Your dentist can give you complete instructions at your appointment.